Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Why join SPJ?

Lots of reasons.

Like professional development.
Networking.
Scholarships.
Awards.
Conferences/conventions.
Job banks.
Programming.
Mentors.
Professional resources.
Legal support.

Personally, I joined SPJ when I was a college student in Virginia. It was my dad's idea actually. He said "If you're serious about being a journalist, you should start joining professional organizations."

So I did.

Next thing I know, I was awarded the chapter's scholarship. That's where I met the internship for the Free Lance-Star in Fredericksburg, which would become my first job out of college. Then, I was on the board.

Now, I'm in 'bama, running the state chapter here. Through SPJ, I've gotten more training, professional development and mentors than anywhere else. I've been able to network with some of the nation's best, and that interaction has been just as valuable as on the job training.

In short, I highly recommend joining SPJ and then getting actively involved in the organization. We have plenty of room to grow in Alabama and we need your help to do it.

For more about joining SPJ: http://www.spj.org/whyjoin.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment